Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Fish Soup Recipe
If you have no time to prepare the fish stock from scratch in step 2, you can use instant fish stock cube with water as a short-cut.
Besides serving as fish porridge, you can also serve a bowl of fish soup with rice at the side, or add noodles (glass noodles, rice vermicelli or ee-fu noodles) to enjoy as a one-dish meal.
- 150-200 grams toman fish fillet* bones & scales removed then sliced thinly diagonally
- 1 serving steamed white rice per bowl
- 1 tsp “dong cai” (冬菜) rinsed; per bowl
* Besides toman (aka snakehead 生魚), you can use other fish such as red grouper, batang, pomfret and threadfin.
(A) Vegetables & Tofu
- 6-8 leaves Chinese lettuce or coral lettuce (生菜)
- small section of bitter gourd halved lengthwise, spoon out the white spongy bits, then slice the bittergourd flesh diagonally & as thinly as possible
- 1 tomato cut to 6 wedges
- 50 grams tofu cubed
(B) Fish soup stock
- 1 litre water
- 50 grams ikan bilis de-gutted and rinsed 1-2 times
- 50 grams dried shrimps
- 20 grams dried fish sole (扁鱼干)
- 6 slices ginger
- 1 sour plum optional
(C) Serving Suggestions (Garnish)
- small pieces of dried seaweed
- chopped coriander and/or spring onions
- white pepper powder
- 1 saucer of cut red chilli with “taucheo” (豆酱; fermented bean paste) per bowl
- fried shallot or fried garlic oil
- Prepare fish and vegetables. Remove any remnant bone and fish scales, if any. Cut the fish diagonally to uniform thin slices. Chill in fridge until ready to use. Prepare the vegetables and tofu at (A).
- Make fish soup stock. Place the ikan bilis, dried shrimps and fish sole in disposable soup pouches for convenience. Place the soup pouches, water, ginger and sour plum in a large soup pot. Simmer for 15 minutes. Discard soup pouches. Note: If you did not use soup pouches, run the soup through a sieve before using. Season to taste. If you need more soup, add more water and seasonings (such as salt or soy sauce) accordingly.
- Cook fish soup. To the pot of fish soup stock, add bittergourd, tomato and tofu. Cook for 30 seconds, then add fish. Boil until the fish is just cooked, about 1 minute.
- Serve fish porridge. Add cooked rice and dong cai to serving bowls. Distribute and ladle the fish soup. Add green lettuce and garnish with (C). Serve with a side saucer of cut chilli.