Chinese Winter Melon Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chinese Winter Melon Soup Recipe
This Chinese winter melon soup can be made with chicken, pork or a mix of both. You can use more meat as you wish for a richer flavour.
- 750g pork ribs or 5 large chicken drumsticks see cooking note below
- 1.8 liter water (stove top) or 1.2 liter (slow cooker) top up whenever needed
- 1 piece (600g) winter melon (冬瓜) flesh cut to large chunks; see cooking note below
- 2 pieces dried octopus make snips with scissors all around; can substitute with 4 dried scallops
- 1 carrot cut into chunks
- 6 red dates (红枣)
- 1 tbsp raw barley (薏米) optional; see cooking note
- 1 tbsp wolfberries (枸杞子) optional
- salt to taste
- chopped spring onions serving suggestion
- saucer of chilli padi in soy sauce serving suggestion
- Blanch the meat. In a soup pot, bring water to a boil. Add the pork and/or chicken. Boil for 5 minutes, take out the meat, rinse it under the tap and set aside.
- Make the soup. First method – stove top: In a large soup pot, add 1.8 liter water and all the ingredients except wolfberries and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours. For best results, keep warm in a thermal pot for at least 2 hours before serving. Second method – slow cooker: use only 1.2 liter of water. Add 1.2 liter water and all the ingredients except wolfberries and salt. Cook at “High” for 2 hours (starting from the time when the soup starts bubbling), then set to simmer at “Low” until ready to serve.
- Serve. Add wolfberries during the last 5 minutes of simmering. Season with salt to taste. To serve, ladle the soup to serving bowls, garnish with spring onions and a side saucer of chilli padi.
- You can also use a mixture of pork (500g pork ribs) and chicken (3 large drumsticks). The chicken drumsticks can also be substituted with 1 kampong chicken, cut to large pieces. Using more meat will enhance the natural sweetness of the soup.
- For easy cutting, use a disc shape piece of winter melon. Remove the skin & middle seeds, then cut the winter melon to large chunks.
- If you have cooked barley (leftover from making barley drink), you can add them to the soup after it is made.