Chinese Tomato Sauce
Chinese Tomato Sauce Recipe
Feel free to season the sauce to taste with sugar, soy sauce and water. This sauce goes well with Chinese-style fried pork chops, chicken and fish.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large red onion (may substitute with a few shallots) cut to rough wedges
- 1 finger-length red chilli deseeded; sliced to wedges
- 3 chilli padi sliced thinly and diagonally; to taste
- 1/2 bottle (about 150g) ketchup (tomato sauce)
- 1/4 cup chilli sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tomato cut to wedges
- Heat oil in wok. Briefly stir-fry garlic, shallots and chillis, until the shallots are softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer with lid on for about 2 minutes, until the sauce is of the desired (slightly thick) consistency.