Asparagus & Bacon Aglio Olio
Asparagus & Bacon Aglio Olio Recipe
This 15-minute asparagus & bacon aglio is quick, easy and full-flavoured thanks to the bacon & a generous amount of fresh garlic.
- 1 serving (60-75g) angel hair (or any favourite pasta)
- 1 tsp salt for boiling the pasta
- 4 thick asparagus spears prepped & cut diagonally to short sections
- 35g streaky bacon cut to short (1 cm) slices
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1 partially de-seeded chilli padi (bird’s eye chilli) or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2-3 tbsp chicken stock or pasta cooking water
- 1 lemon wedge
- salt & black pepper to taste
- more olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese finishing touches; optional
- Cook angel hair in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente, about 1 1/2 minutes. Take out the angel hair and set aside.
- Cook asparagus & bacon. Place asparagus in the middle of the pan and scatter 1 tsp oil and a small sprinkle of salt + pepper over the asparagus. Place bacon strips around the asparagus. Cook the asparagus and bacon on one side then turn over to cook the other side. When both are cooked, push them to the side of the pan.
- Cook garlic. Add chopped garlic and remaining olive oil to the pan. Let the garlic cook in the oil, stirring occasionally. Once the garlic turn light golden, lower the heat.
- Make pasta & serve. Add cooked angel hair, butter, chilli, parsley and stock (or pasta cooking water) to the pan. Combine all the ingredients in the pan evenly. Season with salt & pepper. Serve pasta with a lemon wedge. You can also add an extra lug of olive oil and grate fresh parmesan cheese as finishing touches.