Abalone Chicken Congee
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Abalone Chicken Congee Recipe
This homely and luxurious bowl of abalone chicken congee is full of umami sweetness! For convenience, place ikan bilis in a disposable soup pouch and discard after cooking.
- 8 dried scallops (conpoy/干贝)
- 2 chicken legs/thighs (skin removed) may also use 400 grams of chicken breast
- 1000 + 1200 ml water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can abalone sliced thinly; reserve the abalone broth from the can
- 8 red dates
- 2 carrots peeled & cut to small chunks
- 2 tbsp ikan bilis (dried anchovies/江鱼仔) for convenience, place them in a disposable soup pouch
- coriander for garnishing
- dashes of white pepper to taste
- Rinse dried scallops and soak them in a small bowl of hot water until softened. Shred the scallops and reserve the soaking water.
- Boil chicken in 1000ml of water for 20 minutes. Take out the chicken and shred when cool enough to handle. Warm the abalone slices for 1 minute in the chicken broth using a slotted ladle. Strain the chicken broth. Set aside.
- Rinse rice until water runs clear, then add washed rice to a soup pot with the shredded scallops, red dates, carrots, ikan bilis and 1200ml of water.
- Bring to a boil. Leave the lid partially open and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir the bottom of the pot every now and then to prevent the rice from sticking to the base. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the rice turns to porridge.
- Add the scallops soaking water, abalone broth and chicken broth. Continue simmering for 10-15 minutes, until the porridge reaches a congee consistency. Top up with more chicken stock or hot water whenever needed.
- Ladle congee to serving bowls and top with abalone slices, shredded chicken, white pepper and coriander leaves.