Teh C Peng “Special” (Three-Layer Milk Tea)
Three-Layer Iced Milk Tea Recipe
As a short cut to step two, you can also buy ready-made gula melaka syrup off the shelves.
- 40 grams gula melaka (palm sugar) finely chopped
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 red or black tea bags (such as Lipton or Boh)
- 250 ml hot boiling water
- ice cubes
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk per serving; to taste
You also need
- 2 x 250ml tall glass for serving
- stirrer/tall spoon
- Brew tea bags with hot boiling water in a mug. Let the tea seep for 5 minutes. Dunk the tea bags in the tea a few times and discard the tea bags.
- In the meantime, add gula melaka and 1 tbsp water to a pan. Over a low stove heat, stir continuously with a spatula, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the liquid resembles a thick maple syrup consistency. You may add more water, 1 tsp at a time, if the syrup is too thick.
- Divide gula melaka syrup while it is still warm, equally among two serving glass. Fill each glass to the brim with ice cubes, then add a layer of evaporated milk, and lastly fill the glass to the brim with brewed tea. Serve with a straw and stirrer.
Recipe adapted from Nyonya Cooking (Malaysian Recipes): Teh C Peng Special | Three Layer Tea