Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese New Year Recipes Chinese Recipes Popular Recipes Recipes Steaming Step-by-Step Recipes
Steamed Dumplings/Pot Stickers Recipe
These dumplings are steamed using the traditional dim sum style bamboo steamer, but if you don’t have one you can just steam them on a plate.
- 100 grams fresh prawns meat shells and veins already removed
- 80 grams minced pork or chicken
- 50 grams fresh water chestnuts peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- a few leaves of napa cabbage blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds
- 150 grams round dumpling skins
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a small pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp caster or super fine sugar
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- a few dashes of white pepper powder
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- Process half of the prawns in a food blender for a few seconds to get finely minced prawn meat. For the remaining half of the prawns, chop them up roughly using a knife.
- In a bowl, add minced prawns, minced meat, water chestnuts, garlic, spring onions and the marinade ingredients at (A). Mix well to form a paste.
- Place a piece of dumpling skin on the palm of your hand. Scoop 1/2 tbsp of dumpling filling onto the centre of the skin. Add a few pieces of chopped prawns. Dab your finger in water and wet the edges of the skin with your moist finger.
- Fold the dumpling in half to form a half-crescent shape. Starting from one end and with slightly moist fingers, pleat the edges towards the centre. Repeat with the other end. Wrap dumplings until you finish all the filling.
- Arrange cabbage such that there are still exposed holes at the bottom so that steam can enter the basket. Place dumplings on the cabbage without them touching one another.
- Wet the steaming cloth and wring lightly. Drape the cloth over the dumplings to prevent condensed steam from dripping onto the dumplings. Cover with lid then fold in the 4 corners of the cloth over the lid.
- Steam on high heat until the dumplings are cooked, about 10 minutes. Steam in batches. Serve with black vinegar and finely shredded ginger or chilli sauce.
Noob Cook Tips
- While wrapping the dumplings, you can cover the dumpling skins in a clean and moist kitchen towel to avoid them from drying out.
- If you do not have napa cabbage, you may line the base of the steamer with a piece of parchment paper that has punctured ventilation holes.
- Roughly (not finely) chop the water chestnuts so that you can still taste the crunchy texture.
Pages: 1 2
Your potsticker.is really very tempting. Please could u email me how to make the jiaozi wrappers at home as we don’t get the wrappers here. Thanks a lot
Please your jiozi recipe is very temptibg.please could u email me the recipe of the jiaozi wrappers as they are not available at my place.thanks
May I steam the dumblings as I normally steam other food (food placed on a plate, and the plate is placed on top of a stand, in a pot of water) ? I don’t have this type of basket. Thank You.
yes you can
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
A) Is corn starch necessary?
B) can it be replaced with corn flour? Or other alterations?
It helps to bind the ingredients together. Corn starch is also corn flour, you can use either.
Could I prepare them in advance and freeze them up?