Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Steamed Dumplings/Pot Stickers Recipe
These dumplings are steamed using the traditional dim sum style bamboo steamer, but if you don’t have one you can just steam them on a plate.
- 100 grams fresh prawns meat shells and veins already removed
- 80 grams minced pork or chicken
- 50 grams fresh water chestnuts peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- a few leaves of napa cabbage blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds
- 150 grams round dumpling skins
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a small pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp caster or super fine sugar
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- a few dashes of white pepper powder
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- Process half of the prawns in a food blender for a few seconds to get finely minced prawn meat. For the remaining half of the prawns, chop them up roughly using a knife.
- In a bowl, add minced prawns, minced meat, water chestnuts, garlic, spring onions and the marinade ingredients at (A). Mix well to form a paste.
- Place a piece of dumpling skin on the palm of your hand. Scoop 1/2 tbsp of dumpling filling onto the centre of the skin. Add a few pieces of chopped prawns. Dab your finger in water and wet the edges of the skin with your moist finger.
- Fold the dumpling in half to form a half-crescent shape. Starting from one end and with slightly moist fingers, pleat the edges towards the centre. Repeat with the other end. Wrap dumplings until you finish all the filling.
- Arrange cabbage such that there are still exposed holes at the bottom so that steam can enter the basket. Place dumplings on the cabbage without them touching one another.
- Wet the steaming cloth and wring lightly. Drape the cloth over the dumplings to prevent condensed steam from dripping onto the dumplings. Cover with lid then fold in the 4 corners of the cloth over the lid.
- Steam on high heat until the dumplings are cooked, about 10 minutes. Steam in batches. Serve with black vinegar and finely shredded ginger or chilli sauce.
Noob Cook Tips
- While wrapping the dumplings, you can cover the dumpling skins in a clean and moist kitchen towel to avoid them from drying out.
- If you do not have napa cabbage, you may line the base of the steamer with a piece of parchment paper that has punctured ventilation holes.
- Roughly (not finely) chop the water chestnuts so that you can still taste the crunchy texture.