Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Sambal Belacan Recipe
A little warning though – your kitchen will smell kind of pungent when you make sambal or when you cook with sambal – but to me, a small price to pay for something so delicious. Feel free to tweak the amount of chilli and belacan to suit your preference.
- 5 finger length red chilli deseeded
- 3 to 5 chilli padi aka bird’s eye chilli (no need to deseed – for the heat; to taste)
- 10 grams belachan toasted in a dry pan
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tbsp lime juice from small limes (calamansi)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- A mini blender/food processor OR mortar & pestle
- In a blender, grind chillis and belachan. You can also pound the ingredients using a mortar & pestle.
- Transfer blended paste to a small bowl. Add sugar, lime juice and salt to taste. Stir to mix well. You can store the chilli in refrigerator for about a week. It can be used as a chilli condiment or in stir fries.
Noob Cook Tips
- Wear disposable plastic gloves when de-seeding chilli to prevent chilli burn.
- If you do not have calamansi (small lime), you can substitute with larger lime or lemon (though calamansi gives it the best taste).