Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Salted Vegetable Duck Soup Recipe
For best results, use a slow cooker (crock-pot) to make this soup. However, you can also simmer the soup over stove top for at least two hours (top up the water regularly whenever needed).
- 300 grams (drained weight) salted vegetables
- half duck (about 900 grams)
- 2 sour plums
- 2 finger-length red chilli cut to half lengthwise & seeds removed
- 20 grams block peeled ginger slightly bruised
- 8 cloves old garlic do not peel or bruise
- 2 tsp whole white peppercorn coarsely crushed and placed in a disposable soup stock pouch.
- 4 cardamon coarsely crushed; optional
- 1 litre boiling water
- 1 tomato cut to 6 wedges; optional
- fine sea salt only if needed; to taste
- sliced chilli padi
- dark soy sauce
You also need
- a slow cooker (crock-pot)
- disposable soup stock pouch
- Tear salted vegetable leaf by hand. Taste a small piece of vegetable to test the saltiness. If it is too salty, soak in a bowl of water for 5 to 10 minutes. Tip: Do not oversoak or the salted veg will become tasteless. Recommended to soak for NOT more than 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the duck. Remove and discard the skin and fats. Cut to bite-sized chunks. Blanch duck pieces for 5 minutes in a small pot of boiling water. Drain and rinse the duck pieces.
- In a crock-pot slow cooker, add 1 litre boiling water, salted veg slices, blanched duck, sour plums, ginger, red chilli, old garlic, peppercorn and cardamon. Cook at “High” for at least two hours (starting from the time when the soup starts bubbling, then set to simmer at “Low” or “Auto” for a few hours or until the duck is so tender that the meat falls off the bones easily. Top up with a small amount of boiling water occasionally if required.
- Add tomato only at the last 10 minutes of cooking. Season with a tiny bit of salt, only if required. Serve with steamed rice and a condiment of sliced chilli padi in dark soy sauce.
Noob Cook Tip
Add some cubed tofu pieces to the crockpot at the last 10 minutes of cooking (together with the tomato) if you want 咸菜豆腐鸭汤 (thanks commenter @gertrude)