Salted Egg Yolk Tofu
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Salted Egg Tofu Recipe
This recipe uses cooked salted egg yolk. If you bought raw salted eggs instead, steam the egg yolks until opaque before using.
- 1x 300 grams box firm (pressed) tofu
- vegetable oil for deep-frying; just enough to cover tofu in a small pot
- 3 sprigs curry leaf air dry completely after rinsing
- 30 grams unsalted butter
- 2 cooked salted egg yolk mashed finely with a fork
- 3 chilli padi deseeded & sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp chicken powder optional; use a bit more salt if not using
- Cut tofu to uniform bite-sized cubes (or 24 pieces) & pat dry on paper towel.
- In a small pot, heat cooking oil to 160°C (320°F). Add curry leaves into the oil and deep fry for about 5 seconds, or until crisp. Remove and drain the fried curry leaves on paper towel. Reserve 1 tbsp curry leaf-infused oil for stir-frying. Add tofu and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain tofu on paper towel.
- Melt butter in wok. Also add 1 tbsp curry leaf-infused oil. Stir fry mashed egg yolk, chilli and garlic, until the paste is foamy and aromatic. Season with salt and chicken powder.
- Add fried tofu and curry leaves back to the tofu. Stir fry briefly to coat everything evenly in the sauce before serving.