Quinoa “Fried Rice”
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Quinoa "Fried Rice" Recipe
You can cook the quinoa beforehand (step 1), covered and chilled in the fridge, where it keeps for up to a week. Cooked quinoa reheats well in the microwave (1-2 minutes). Use 300 grams of cooked quinoa if you already have it on hand.
- 3/4 cup (120 grams) raw quiona pearl, red, dark or tri-coloured
- 1 1/2 cup water (to cook quoina)
- 1/2 tsp + 1 tbsp cooking oil divided
- 1 egg well beaten with 1/4 tsp light soy sauce
- 100g spam (luncheon meat) diced
- 100g char siu (Chinese BBQ pork) diced (substitute with another 100g spam if do not have this)
- 5 shallots thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 100g frozen tri-vegetables (carrot, pea, corn) thawed
- chopped spring onions for garnish
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce to taste
- black or white pepper powder
- Cook the quinoa. Wash the quinoa in 1-2 changes of water until water runs clear. Drain on mesh strainer. Add drained quinoa to a rice cooker or soup pot, add 1 1/2 cup water and cook until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Check out this tutorial for more detailed instructions. Set aside.
- Make the egg. Heat and grease wok with 1/2 tsp of oil. Cook egg, swirl to cover entire wok. Cook egg on both sides. When the egg is cooled, roll it up like a cigar and sliced to thin strips. Set aside.
- Stir-fry the aromatics. Heat remaining oil in a large wok or pan. Add shallots and garlic and cook until shallots are translucent and soft. Then add diced spam and char siu. Stir-fry until the spam is fragrant.
- Cook the “fried rice”. Add cooked quinoa, thawed tri-vegetables, egg and seasonings (A). Stir fry until everything is well combined and the quinoa is of an even colour. Season with pepper, and add more garlic salt only if needed. Garnish with chopped spring onions to serve.