Hay Bee Hiam (Spicy Dried Shrimps Sambal)
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Condiments, Dips & Sauces Hot & Spicy Singapore & Malaysia Recipes Stir Frying
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Spicy Dried Shrimps Sambal Recipe
Do not chop/grind the dried shrimps too finely so that the sambal has a slightly chunky texture.
(A) Dried shrimps paste
(finely chop or pulse in electric grinder for a few seconds)
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps soaked in water until softened
- 5 shallots peeled
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- In a wok, heat the oil. Add (A) and sambal belacan. Stir fry until dry and fragrant.
- Season with salt with needed. I did not add salt because my home made sambal belachan is already nicely salted. Serve with steamed rice or use for stir-fries.
Noob Cook Tips
- Belacan is pungent smelling. Open your windows and remove all laundry (if you have them in the kitchen) when you’re frying this dish.
- If you’re using store-bought sambal and it’s not spicy enough, add chilli padi to the shrimp paste at (A) for more heat.